BARTOLINI GIULIOProfessore Associato
Vai alla scheda del docente
Settore scientifico disciplinare di riferimento
||Università degli Studi ROMA TRE
Struttura di afferenza
Orari di ricevimentoStante il perdurare della situazione sanitaria si prega di contattare il docente all'indirizzo email (email@example.com) per fissare un appuntamento
CurriculumGiulio Bartolini is Associate Professor of International Law at the Department of Law, University of “Roma Tre”. He teaches International Humanitarian Law and International Organizations Law at the Department of Law, University of Roma Tre.
He obtained a PhD in International and European Law at “La Sapienza” University, Rome, in 2004 and he has been awarded the “Diploma in Human Rights Law” by the European University Institute in the 2005 session. In the years 2009-2012 he was an elected member of the Board of Governors of the Italian Society of International Law.
He has published two books and numerous articles in international and national legal journals and edited volumes. In 2007 he was awarded the “Italian Society of International Law Prize” for the best article in international law and European law published by a young researcher, for the paper “Air operations against Iraq (1991 and 2003)”.
He has delivered papers at international and national conferences (e.g. at the Biennial Conference of the European Society of International Law (ESIL), Heidelberg; the Centre for Studies and Research of the Hague Academy of International Law; the Congress of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War, Quebec City; the University of Cambridge, Jerusalem, Westminster, Trento, Naples, Milan, Florence, Teramo, Pisa, Macerata, Ferrara, Catania. He has co-organised conferences and seminars with the ASIL-Interest Group on Disaster Law and Vanderbilt University and the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
In 2014 he was a visiting fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law and at the King’s College, Department of War Studies, London, while in 2007 he was visiting researcher at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge,.
Prof. Bartolini is jointly responsible for the 3-years research project “International Disaster Response Law: Rules and Principles of International and EU Law Concerning the Prevention and Management of Natural and Man-made Disasters” (2013-2016), funded by the Italian Ministry for University within the framework of the programme “Futuro in ricerca”. The project involves several Universities and important stakeholders, such as the International Federation of the Red Cross (IFRC), the Italian Civil Protection Department, the International Institute of Humanitarian Law - Sanremo, ALNAP, and the Italian Red Cross.
Since 2014 he collaborates to the activities of Dr. Eduardo Valencia-Ospina, Special Rapporteur of the International Law Commission on “The Protection of Persons in the Event of Disaster” and has been appointed as his legal assistant during sessions at the ILC.
He is co-director of the course “International Disaster Law”, jointly organised by the IFRC, the International Institute of Humanitarian Law and the IDL Project held in Sanremo, and he is scientific director of training courses on “International Disaster Response Law” organised for the Italian Red Cross staff.
Since 2010 he has been an appointed member of the Scientific Committee of the National Red Cross Commission for International Humanitarian Law, Italy. On behalf of the Italian Red Cross he participates in international meetings of the European Legal Support Group (ELSG), a network of IHL experts of the European Red Cross Societies. He has been entrusted with the scientific organization of several national conferences on IHL funded by the Italian Red Cross (2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014), and is responsible for updating the Italian practice on IHL for the ICRC’s study on Customary International Humanitarian Law (CUP). He regularly teaches at IHL courses organised by the Italian Red Cross for senior officers of the Italian Armed Forces.
He collaborates with the Italian Armed Forces on a regular basis. Notably, he has been Co-Director of the Master’s programme in “International Military and Strategic Studies” of the Joint Services Staff College (Istituto Superiore Stato Maggiore Interforze) in Rome (2011-2015), the Italian Ministry of Defence’s highest training centre for senior officers of the Italian Armed Forces. He has also lectured “International Law and International Humanitarian Law” on this Master’s programme and for the courses for “Legal Advisers” organized by the Ministry of Defence. He has obtained annual research contracts with the Ce.Mi.S.S. (Military Centre for Strategic Studies, Ministry of Defence, Rome) to elaborate studies on international humanitarian law and status-of-forces agreements. He has delivered lectures at several conferences and training courses of the Italian Armed Forces, such as IASD, CoESPU, ISMA, etc.
He is a full member of the International Institute of Humanitarian Law, Sanremo. On behalf of the Institute he has participated in IHL-related conferences in Sarajevo, Pristina, Skopje, Rome and Sanremo and has been entrusted to be course director for joint activities of the IIHL with the Ministry of Defence, Montenegro.
- “Riparazione per violazioni dei diritti umani e ordinamento giuridico internazionale” (Reparation for Violations of Human Rights and the International Legal Order), Napoli, Jovene, 701 pages (Reviews in Annuaire français de droit international, 2009, p. 1005, and in Revue trimestrielle des droits de l’homme, 2009, p. 1015)
- “Lo status del personale delle Forze Armate operante in missioni all'estero e in contesti di cooperazione militare” (The Status of Military Personnel Engaged in Missions Abroad and in Contexts of Military Cooperation”), Fagnano Alto, Il Sirente, 2012, pp. 396
- (in press) “Attribution of Conduct and Liability Issues Arising From Disaster Relief Mission: Theoretical and Pragmatic Approaches to Guaranteeing Accountability”, in Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, 2015, vol. 48, n. 4 (October issue), app. 35 pages.
- “Article 25. Situation entre l’État prédécesseur et l’État nouvellement indépendant”, in G. Distefano, G. Gaggioli (eds.), Commentaire de la Convention de Vienne sur la succession des Etats dans les traits, Bruxelles, Bruylant, 2015, p. 911-926.
- “La definizione di disastro nel progetto di articoli della Commissione del diritto internazionale” (The Definition of Disaster in the Draft Articles of the International Law Commission), in Rivista di diritto internazionale, 2015, pp. 184-191.
- “Article 5”, in R. Kolb (ed.), Commentaire du Pacte de la Société des Nations, Bruxelles, Bruylant, 2014, pp. 205-273.
- “An Universal Approach to International Law in Contemporary Constitutions: Does It Exist?, in Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law, 2014, issue 4, pp. 1287-1320.
- “The Legal Framework Applicable to National Military Personnel Deployed in Peacekeeping Operations: The Italian Experience”, in A. De Guttry, E. Sommario, L. Zhu (eds.), China’s and Italy’s Participation in Peacekeeping Operations. Existing Models, Emerging Challenges, Lanham - New York, Lexington Books, 2014, pp. 255-282.
- “Air Targeting in Operation Unified Protector in Libya. Jus ad bellum and IHL Issues: An External Perspective”, in Proceedings of the 19th Congress of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War, Bruxelles, 2013, pp. 231-279
- “Is there a need for new international humanitarian law implementation mechanisms?”, in R. Kolb, G. Gaggioli (eds.), Research Handbook on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2013, pp. 590-627
- “Armed Forces and the International Court of Justice: The Relevance of International Humanitarian law and Human Rights Law to the Conduct of Military Operations”, in M. Odello, F. Seatzu (eds.), Armed Forces and International Jurisdictions, Cambridge-Antwerp-Portland, Intersentia, 2013, pp. 51-89.
- “Operazione Unified Protector in Libia e la condotta delle ostilità” (Operation Unified Protector in Libya and the Conduct of Hostilities), in Rivista di diritto internazionale, 2012, pp. 1012-1055
- “The Impact of Fascism on the Italian Doctrine of International Law”, in Journal of the History of International Law, 2012, pp. 237-286
- “Article 41”, in: S. Bartole, P. De Sena, V. Zagrebelsky (eds.), Commentario breve alla Convenzione europea dei diritti dell'uomo (Commentary on the European Convention on Human Rights), Cedam, Padova, 2012, pp. 703-729
- “Private Military and Security Companies as “Persons who Accompany the Armed Forces”, in F. Francioni and N. Ronzitti (eds.), War by Contract. Human Rights, Humanitarian Law, and Private Contractors, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2011, pp. 218-234
- “The legal status of interpreters serving in armed conflicts and post-conflict situations”, in Studi in onore di Claudio Zanghì, Vol. I., Torino, Giappichelli, 2011, pp. 17-32
- “The Participation of Civilians in Hostilities”, in M. Matheson and D. Momtaz (ed.), Rules and Institutions of International Humanitarian Law Put to the Test of Recent Armed Conflicts, Hague Academy of International Law, Leiden, Martinus Nihoff Publishers, 2010, pp. 321-409
- “The “Civilianisation” of Contemporary Armed Conflicts”, in Ruiz Fabri, Wolfrum, Gogolin (eds.) Select Proceedings of the European Society of International Law, Oxford-Portland, Hart Publishing, 2010, pp. 569-597
- “Il Rapporto Goldstone sull’operazione “Piombo fuso” a Gaza” (The Goldstone Report on the Operation “Cast Lead” in Gaza), in Diritti umani e diritto internazionale, 2010, pp. 185-194
- “I targeted killings di appartenenti a gruppi terroristici tra diritto internazionale umanitario e diritti umani” (Targeted Killing of Members of Terrorist Groups in IHL and Human Rights Law), in P. Gargiulo, C. Vitucci (eds.), Lotta al terrorismo e diritti umani, Napoli, Editoriale Scientifica, 2008, pp. 270-295
- “Reparation for Violations of Human Rights: Possible Co-ordination in the Case-Law of International Supervisory Bodies”, in Federalismi.it, vol. 15, pp. 1-22
- (with R. Pisillo Mazzeschi) “The Right to Asylum Sixty Years after the Universal Declaration of Human Rights”, in Gonzalo Aguilar Cavallo (ed.), 60 anos despues: ensenanzas pasads y desafios futuros. Commemoracion de los 60 anos de la Declaracio Universal de Derechos Humanos y de la Declaracio Americana de los Derechos y Debres del Hombre, Santiago, 2008, pp. 345-386
- “Osservazioni in margine alla “Direttiva procedure” 2005/85/CE” (Remarks on the EC/2005/85 “Procedure” Directive” in P. Benvenuti (ed.), Flussi Migratori e fruizione dei diritti fondamentali, Fagnano Alto, Il Sirente, 2008, p. 177-214.
- “Le eliminazioni mirate di appartenenti a gruppi terroristici al vaglio della Corte suprema di Israele” (Targeted Killings of Members of Terrorist Groups in front of the Israeli Supreme Court), in Diritti umani e diritto internazionale, 2007, pp. 623-646
- "Il concetto di controllo sulle attività di individui quale presupposto della responsabilità dello Stato”, in M. Spinedi, A. Gianelli and M.L. Alaimo (eds.), La codificazione della responsabilità internazionale degli Stati alla prova dei fatti. Problemi e spunti di riflessione, Milano, ed. Giuffré, 2006, pp. 25-52
- “Air operations against Iraq (1991 and 2003)” in N. Ronzitti and G. Venturini (eds.), The International Humanitarian Law of Air Warfare: Current Situation and Future Perspective, Utrecht, Eleven International Publishing, 2005, pp. 227-272
- “Commissione dei diritti umani (60a sessione). Le attività e le prospettive di riforma”, in La Comunità internazionale, 2005, pp. 731-754
- “Le modifiche al codice penale militare di guerra a seguito della missione italiana in Afghanistan” (Modifications to the Wartime Military Criminal Code for the Mission in Afghanistan), in La Comunità Internazionale, 2002, p. 171 ff.
- “Organi di fatto e responsabilità internazionale: recenti sviluppi” (De Facto Organs and International Responsibility: Recent Developments), in La Comunità internazionale, 2001, p. 435 ff.